When should I consider mid-mount child bike seats/ MTB?
Mid-mounted (MTB seat) is the right child seat for mountain bike. Your child is placed between you and the handlebar. This way you can maintain your center of balance much easier and challenge the mountain trails.
The mid-mount child bike seat is free from a harness, so your child must hold on. Don’t worry though! It is a great way of biking with a toddler and has a lot of advantages. Your child is located between your arms, and you have got more space for maneuvering.
The age range starts from 24 months to 5 years and up to 48 lbs (22 kg).
What are the benefits of the child seat for mountain bike?
There are a few good reasons to get mid-mounted child bike seats.
- Your child is placed lower on the frame as opposed to the front-mounted child bike seat, so the child is more centered and his weight is in line with yours.
- You have got more balance and control over the ride.
- MTB child bike seats are simple and straightforward. You don’t need to deal with the bulky child front bike seat instead. Getting on and off is very simple too.
- A front bike seat for child provides you and your baby with a fantastic interaction throughout the whole trip.
- You don’t need to yell or intentionally turn your head to the side to hear what your baby is trying to tell you.
- The child seat for mountain bike is extremely light and can be carried anywhere.
- You see your child and so able to control their needs. You will know immediately when they want to drink some water, about to take a nap, or lost something on the way.
- Your child has a great view of everything in front of him.
- It is a great experience for your toddler indeed.
How to choose the right child seat for mountain bike?
The first step is to decide what you need the mid-mounted toddler bicycle seat for.
- Recreational/ casual or
- Mountain-type leisure?
Recreational bike riding with toddlers includes short easy rides in the area. It typically offers an additional handlebar for your baby, such as UrRider child bike seats. Mountain biking requires a special child seat for mountain bike which is different from the front-mounted bike seat.
What is the difference between recreational bike seats for toddlers and mountain child bike seats?
Mountain child bike seats are slimmer and do not offer any additional accessories. They are designed for a mountain ride and to ensure the rider has more space for maneuvering.
All three reviewed below, Do Little, MacRide, and Shotgun bike seats for kids offer a universal mounting system for all mountain-style bikes.
Recreational child bike seats are bulkier and offer some additional features, such as integrated handlebars. But they are not ideal for mountain biking as such.
Note: Mountain child bike seats are suitable for occasional recreational rides, whilst recreational are not suitable for mountain biking.
You should always check the compatibility with the bike brand you have. Additional information is added to each review of the child seat for mountain bike below.
Age of your child
It is important to consider the age and size of your toddler. The main disadvantage of the mid-mounted child bike seats is that they do not provide a harness system, so the child is unstrapped and must hold himself. He also has to stay still during the ride. It may be more challenging for a two-year-old but should be more achievable with a 3- or 4-year-old toddler.
Finally, consider the size of the child. If he is over 4 years of age, he will be bigger and heavier, so it will be more challenging for you to ride the mountain bike.
The rider’s height also plays a great role. The higher your seat is set up, the easier it is for you to ride. Also, you should maintain some space between your shoulders and the child’s head, so it is comfortable for both of you.
Consider the size of your bike and how comfortable it will be to ride with the child in front. The distance between your handlebars and seat tube should be not less than 20 inches (50 cm).
Other important features of a child seat for mountain bike
Best child seats for mountain bike
SHOTGUN Kids MTB Child Seat
There are not too many high-quality good options on the market to pick the right child seat for mountain bike. Shotgun MTB child seat stands out among its competitors by providing an additional value of adjustable rubberized foot straps and extra mini handlebar which makes it easier for a mountain biker to control the ride.
Age/ weight capacity: 24 months – 5 years/ up to 48 lbs (22 kg)
- Compatibility: fits all mountain bikes. However, it won’t work on bikes without front suspension forks, so for example, road bikes, e-bikes, or older bicycles with cables on the top tube.
- Recommended tube width: over 2 inches (5 cm).
- Easy mounting and dismounting with a quick-release attachment.
- It has full rubber protection for the bicycle alloy or carbon frame (cheap versions have a great chance to damage your frame!)
- Rubberized foot straps.
- Extra mini handlebar (although it can be purchased separately if you are unsure in the early stage).
- Shotgun child bike seats have the thickest padded adjustable seat for additional comfort.
- Custom mudguard.
- An incredibly colorful “shred til bed” stem-cap book which contains an animal alphabet.
DO LITTLE Front-Mounted Kids Bike Seat for Active Riding
Do Little child seat for mountain bike comes with an adapter which makes it a perfectly compatible seat for any type of bicycle, including the bikes with a step-through frame, or road bikes. It also has two options:
Moreover, Do Little doesn’t offer foot straps but a fixed non-adjustable metal bar. This was made in mind for your child to quickly take off his feet in the event of an accident or crash. Do Little believes it is important not to be strapped in such moments. Obviously, it is your choice!
Let’s take a look at the major features:
Age/ weight capacity: 18 months – 7+ years
- Compatibility: each Do Little comes with two adjustable adaptor fittings that make it compatible with almost any double tube bike, from cruisers to commuters to mountain bikes. The new Biggie is specifically designed to fit larger frames and e-bikes.
- Recommended top tube width: over 2 inches (5 cm).
- Installation: easy. All required tools are included.
- Offers the highest passenger weight rating (up to 66 lbs/ 30 kg).
- Fixed metal bar to provide as a footrest.
- Soft comfortable saddle.
- Durable rubber pads to protect (and not damage!) the bike frame.
- Do Little positions your child as low as possible on the frame. This is due to the provided adapter that makes the ride more comfortable and lets your child get on and off the bike easier.
Mac Ride Child Bike Seat
Mac Ride child bike seat offers a sleek design and considers to be one of the most expensive options. It is the best child seat for mountain bike if you are planning to switch it between two or more bikes quite often. It is also the only bike seat that has adjustable height footrests for your child.
Age/ weight capacity: 24 months – 5 years / up to 60 lbs (20 kg)
- Compatibility: Compatible with mountain bikes, commuters, and e-bikes (E-Bike Adapter).
- The Mac Ride mounts between the headset and the seat post, so the seat’s placement is independent of the slope of the top tube.
- Includes two standard front mount spacers (1 1/8″).
- The most comfortable and easiest to use adjustable footrests with rubberized foot straps.
- Soft comfortable saddle.
UrRider Child Bike Seat
UrRider child bike seat is only suitable for casual recreational rides.
Age/ weight capacity: 24 months – 6 years/ up to 4.1 feet (125 cm) height
- Compatibility: Applicable to mountain bikes, hybrid bikes, and fitness bikes.
- Note: UrRider is only suitable for bicycle seat post diameter less than or equal to 5.5 cm (2 1/8 inches) and down tube width less than or equal to 6.2 cm (2.44 inches).
- Not suitable for bicycles with cables on the top tube.
- Adjustable handrail and fork arm.
- Made with Aircraft-grade aluminum alloy construction.
- Best for budget!
- Ultralight and foldable.
- A free packing bag is included.
- Comes in blue and orange.
- No foot straps are provided. The child places his legs on metal pegs.
- The seat is slightly bigger than the three models mentioned above.
It is worth checking out the front-mounted bike seats that may be suitable for you in case of casual ridings, such as
Have you picked your favorite child seat for mountain bike yet? Share with us which one it is and enjoy every moment with your baby!
IMPORTANT: We created the Family Store especially for you. By clicking on the image below you can find anything from Newborn’s First Kit, Baby & Family Essentials, Kids Travel to Travel Gear. We hope you will find something valuable for your own adventures!
Our shop contains products from other companies that we love and use! Everything is based on our values of quality over quantity.
To get more support from parents and family travellers, join our Parenting Support Group.
And follow us on Instagram to know our crazy expat life!
Also, check out:
Welcome to check out our best product selection for parents and babies, including travelling gear and resources here.
This post may contain affiliate links that we may or may not receive a small commission for, at no extra cost to you. This helps to fund our blog but we never advertise for anything we don’t personally love or recommend. There is never any pressure to buy anything, we just like sharing things that make our life easier and help you find them if it is something you are looking for. Please, see our full disclosure here.