What are emollients?
Emollients for eczema are creams containing a group of substances that can quickly moisturize and restore the skin. They penetrate to the level of the stratum corneum and the hydrolipid mantle. Almost immediately after using emollients, the protective barrier of the skin is restored, it becomes soft and velvety. It gets filled with moisture, so the discomfort disappears. Such properties of emollients make them indispensable for skin care in atopic dermatitis and other skin diseases.
The best eczema cream for babies, aka emollients, activate local immunity, contribute to the rapid recovery of the skin in case of damage, eliminate peeling, or itching.
Types of emollients for children
Paediatricians and dermatologists recommend using emollient-based products if your baby has quite dry and atopic-prone skin. Such emollients take care of your baby’s skin, do not cause irritation or dryness.
There are different types of products that contain emollients:
- Emollient creams are designed to be applied to the skin during the daytime. They are not as greasy as ointments, so they are absorbed faster.
- If you use ointments that contain emollients, then they are slightly thicker and fattier. This helps emollients to remain in the upper layers of the skin and retain a moisturizing effect much longer. Such ointments – emollients for dermatitis are applied at night.
- Lotions with emollients can be easily applied all over the body. They are also being instantly absorbed. The downside is that they provide less lasting moisturizing effect than ointments and creams.
- Special washing-type creams are invented for bathing children that are prone to atopic dermatitis, skin dryness and flaking. You would feel your baby’s skin isn’t peely but soft and silky right after bathing them in a bath with the addition of emollients.
What do emollients contain?
Since we are talking about baby’s problematic skin and possible atopic dermatitis, the best eczema cream for babies, an emollient, normally should not contain any synthetic dyes, fragrances, or other ingredients that can cause skin irritation. The formulation of such a product does not involve the use of hormonal agents and any other medicines.
Emollient products may also include:
- Antioxidants of natural origin, e.g. vitamin E – they block the processes of inflammation in the skin, and prevent itching.
- Hyaluronic acid – it retains moisture on the surface of the skin.
- Vegetable oils, such as avocado, sunflower, etc. – natural lipids restore the fatty film on the skin, protect it from moisture loss, and make it more elastic.
- Amino acids – help retain moisture in the skin.
- Panthenol – activates the process of cell restoration and healing of damaged areas of the epidermis.
- Urea – is involved in the transport of water molecules to the deep layers of the skin.
How to choose the right emollient for your baby?
Nowadays, there are tons of emollients on the market. It doesn’t necessarily mean that all of them are suitable for your child. It is better to speak and follow the recommendation of your pediatrician too. However, you also have to think about several factors when picking the best natural cream for baby eczema:
- Your child’s age.
- The location of problematic skin.
- Your child’s skin condition.
The above three points are the main criterias that you should base your opinion on.
When choosing an emollient, do not apply it everywhere. First test it on a smaller surface. Then check the result. If you find any redness avoid this type of emollient immediately. If there are no signs of irritation then apply it to other problematic parts.
6 greatest emollients in 2023
Below are the greatest emollients for eczema or sensitive and problematic skin that we recommend. Since this is a very individual choice, we strongly suggest you do your research, consult with your pediatrician, and test a couple of emollients first to find the right one for your child.
Unfortunately, any types of allergies, irritations, skin eczema or atopic dermatitis are not pleasant to deal with. Indeed, it requires some time to find the right treatment. This is why we list one of the best emollients for you to consider. Emollients are not cheap but definitely worth the result and well-being of your child.
Let Your Baby Stay Healthy and Safe at All Times!
IMPORTANT: We created the Family Store, especially for you. By clicking on the image below you can find anything from Newborn’s First Kit, Baby & Family Essentials, Kids Travel to Travel Gear. We hope you will find something valuable for your own adventures!
Our shop contains products from other companies that we love and use! Everything is based on our values of quality over quantity.
To get more support from parents and family travelers, join our Parenting Support Group.
And follow us on Instagram to know our crazy expat life!
Also, check out:
- 16 Best Bathtubs for Babies, Bath Seats for 6-Month-Old & Bath Supports
- Bathtub Essentials: Baby Bath Supplies List for First-Time Parents
- How to Bathe a Baby Step-by-Step
- Eight Different Ways of Bathing with Newborn and How to Shower a Baby
- Eight Important Baby Bath Tips
Welcome to check out our best product selection for parents and babies, including traveling gear and resources here.
This post may contain affiliate links that we may or may not receive a small commission for, at no extra cost to you. This helps to fund our blog but we never advertise for anything we don’t personally love or recommend. There is never any pressure to buy anything, we just like sharing things that make our life easier and help you find them if it is something you are looking for. Please, see our full disclosure here.